Monday, February 9, 2009

INCEPTION

Is the quality of life for those who do not fit into the 'ideal' decreased. What is the ideal? Well what images do we see portrayed in the media, news, t.v. & print? I'm watching the Bachelor andfind myself wondering if society will ever progress to the point where we will see a bachelor with a little girth? Or when we see a full figured Bachelorette? The Grammys were on last night and on the red carpet I saw a never ending parade of small waisted women, thin little legs, cut arms, huge smiles & mega confidence. Some women seemed rather happy and proud of themselves that they managed to fit into their size zero ensemble. Concerning the women present, the red carpet rhetoric were how this person and that person had a gorgeous body. Also, I heard continuous comments of how great of shape some of the performers and stars were in. But my question is what about those in the larger community? Are they unhappy because they are not model perfect? Do they want to be? I don't know. .... Do you have to be in an 'ideal' perfect package in order to have a fulfilling life?

4 comments:

  1. Yarrow - A great shape is a great shape. I think alot of times people get it confused. Most of the "ideal" women I know are mainstays in the gym. Now Im not saying anything against non-skinny females. I have a crush on Jill Scott and Jennifer Hudson. I used to be infatuated with Dee from Whats Happening. Maybe I should blog about low self-esteem!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You don't have to be "thin and toned" to have a fulfilling life. Happiness comes from the heart and is not skin deep. America has become increasingly vain and self absorbed in thin and superficial images. The air brushed images on TV and magazines are not realistic. It's pathetic that plastic surgery and botox have become come place for people to feel better about themselves. A lot of other countries are not infatuated with being skinny. In Africa a full figured woman is considered more attractive than a thin woman. I live to be healthy and not skinny!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So do the skinny girls in Africa get all this?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with what anonymous says. You don't have to be thin and toned to have a fulfilling life. I haven't been toned since I was 21 but with my full figured frame I have never had a problem finding a man or having fulfilling relationships. Why so much focus on the way a person looks. You don't have to be thin to be healthy. I know many thin women who couldn't stand close to me in a 5k :)

    ReplyDelete